[Tutorial] Fireball/Sun, Create a blazing ball of fire.

K4rMa

Preview

sun.gif

[-]Part 1: Creating the basic shape and texture[/-]

1. Create a new document. This tutorial uses 400 x 400. Fill the background with Black (#000000)

2. Make a new layer.

3. Use the Elliptical marquee tool and make a large circular selection. Hold Shift to make the circle perfectly round; and make sure the circle takes up the majority of the document. NEVER DESELECT THE SELECTION. IT MUST STAY SELECTED THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE TUTORIAL!

4. Press Filter > Render > Clouds and then Filter > Render > Difference Clouds.

sun1.gif

5. Press Ctrl+I to invert the colours. press Ctrl+L and move the middle grey slider all the way to the right. Press OK.

sun2.gif

[-]Part 2: Adding even more detail[/-]

6. Press Filter > Distort > Spherize, and set the option to 100%. Press CTRL+F which will re-do the Spherize filter.

sun3.gif

7. Press Filter > Stylize > Find Edges, then press Ctrl+I to invert the colours.

sun4.gif

[-]Part 3: Adding colour and effects[/-]

8. Press Ctrl+U and colourize the circle with:

- Hue: 0

- Saturation: 100

9. Duplicate the layer, and colourize (CTRL+U) the Duplicated layer with:

- Hue: 40

sun5.gif

10. Set the blending mode to Linear Dodge and press Ctrl+E to merge the two layers.

sun6.gif

11. Make a new layer.

12. Press Filter > Render > Clouds and then Filter > Render > Difference Clouds.

13. Press Ctrl+I to invert the colours. press Ctrl+L and move the middle grey slider all the way to the right. Press OK.

14. Press Filter > Distort > Spherize, and set the option to 100%. Press CTRL+F which will re-do the Spherize filter.

15. Press Filter > Stylize > Find Edges, then press Ctrl+I to invert the colours.

16. Press Ctrl+U and colourize the circle with:

17. Duplicate the layer, and colourize (CTRL+U) the Duplicated layer with:

18. Set the blending mode to Linear Dodge and press Ctrl+E to merge the two layers. Set this layers mode to Linear Dodge, and press CTRL+E to merge the layers again.

19. Make a new layer.

20. Press Filter > Render > Clouds and then Filter > Render > Difference Clouds.

21. Press Ctrl+I to invert the colours. press Ctrl+L and move the middle grey slider all the way to the right. Press OK.

22. Press Filter > Distort > Spherize, and set the option to 100%. Press CTRL+F which will re-do the Spherize filter.

23. Press Filter > Stylize > Find Edges, then press Ctrl+I to invert the colours.

24. Press Ctrl+U and colourize the circle with:

25. Duplicate the layer, and colourize (CTRL+U) the Duplicated layer with:

26. Set the blending mode to Linear Dodge and press Ctrl+E to merge the two layers. Set this layers mode to Linear Dodge, and press CTRL+E to merge the layers again.

27. Make a new layer.

28. Press Filter > Render > Clouds and then Filter > Render > Difference Clouds.

29. Press Ctrl+I to invert the colours. press Ctrl+L and move the middle grey slider all the way to the right. Press OK.

30. Press Filter > Distort > Spherize, and set the option to 100%. Press CTRL+F which will re-do the Spherize filter.

31. Press Filter > Stylize > Find Edges, then press Ctrl+I to invert the colours.

32. Press Ctrl+U and colourize the circle with:

33. Duplicate the layer, and colourize (CTRL+U) the Duplicated layer with:

34. Set the blending mode to Linear Dodge and press Ctrl+E to merge the two layers. Set this layers mode to Linear Dodge, and press CTRL+E to merge EVERY layer into one; except for the background.

sun7.gif

35. With the fireball layer selected, go into the Layer Styles (f.gif), and add an Inner Glow any size, with the colour #FFC600. Add an Outer Glow also with the colour #FFC600.

[-]Final Product[/-]

sun.gif