Ιnstall L2J On Linux

L2J For Linux Guide

These procedures have been tested on Fedora Core 3, Debian, Ubuntu and Gentoo. Your milage may vary, but this should work just for about any Linux distribution out there.

Requirements:

-------------

* MySQL Server (Install via your package manager)

* SVN client (Install via your package manager)

* ANT (Install via your package manager)

* zip/unzip (install via your package manager, should be default on most systems)

* screen (install via your package manager. Optional, but highly recommended)

* Java SDK/JVM (See discussion on Java further down)

* A NON-ROOT ACCOUNT TO RUN THE SERVERS AS!!!!!

(Please don't run the server as root, it's a bad idea Smile

For Debian/Ubuntu this should be "apt-get install mysql-server subversion ant unzip"

For Gentoo this should be "emerge mysql subversion dev-java/ant unzip"

For Fedora Core 3 "yum install subversion dev-java ant unzip"

The JDk/VM part is a little more tricky. First you need to pick between IBM or Sun Java. Sun Java is easier to get (IBM requires that you sign up and provide a bunch of personal information) but IBM Java is rumoured to be faster. I've seen no data either way so I'd suggest sticking with Sun Java. No matter which one you chose, download the 'self extracting binary' or 'tar gzip' version and set it aside. Don't download one that's managed by the system (IE, an RPM).

Installation:

------------

Now you need to figure out where you're going to install all this stuff. The L2J Server and Datapack source and installed, with the Java is around 500 megs, so make sure that you have aleast that much space on the partition you'll be using. I'd recommend having atleast a gig just to be on the safe side. On my system I create a partition for the L2J stuff and I'll be using that in my examples. The following are the directories that I have:

/l2j <- The base directory

/l2j/source <- Where I store the L2J Server/Datapack checked out from the SVN

/l2j/java <- Where I install the JDK/JVM

/l2j/server <- Where the completed product resides.

First let's deal with the Java install. This is actually rather simple. If you downloaded the Sun Java, just change into the /l2j directory then run the binary and then rename the directory to 'java'. If you downloaded the IBM version, change to the /l2j directory and untar, the rename.

Example for Sun Java:

cd /l2j

/path/to/jdk-1_5_0_<version>-linux-i586.bin (replace <version> with the actual version #)

mv jdk-1_5_0_01-linux-i586.bin java

Example for IBM Java

cd /l2j

tar zxvf /path/to/ibm-java2-sdk-50-linux-i386.tgz

mv ibm-java2-i386-50 java

Now we need to get the L2J server and Datapack. This is probably the easiest part of the install.

cd /l2j/source

svn

svn

Now we need to compile the L2J server. First, put /l2j/java/bin at the start of your path so that ant will use the freshly installed JDK, rather than the system installed on. This examples assumes you're running BASH, which is the default of 99% of the distributions. If you're running ksh or csh, you probably don't need this guide to begin with. Then change into the L2J server source directory and do the compile.

export PATH=/l2j/java/bin:${PATH**

cd /l2j/source/trunk/L2_Gameserver

ant

This compile should be fairly clean. There is only warning about "Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations." You can ignore these. You should now have l2j-server.zip in the build directory. Copy this to the /l2j/server directory and extract.

cp /l2j/source/trunk/L2_Gameserver/build/l2-server.zip

cd /l2j/server

unzip -a l2-server.zip

Congratulations! It's a server without a datapack.

Now we need to install the datapack and the SQL files. First, we'll copy the data file into the server directory.

cp -a /l2j/source/L2J_Datapack/trunk/datapack_development/data/* /l2j/server/gameserver/data/.

Now we need to import the SQL files. The Datapack team has provided a very nice script to run to import the SQL files. Before we run this however, you'll need to create a MySQL server that the l2j server will use. As with the system user, please DO NOT USE ROOT! Using root for anything is bad, very bad. I'm not going to get into how to add a user to MySQL. If you have issues, take a look at mysql_setpermissions installed with MySQL or install PHPMyAdmin and use that. Once you've created a user, run the SQL installation script:

cd /l2j/source/L2J_Datapack/trunk/datapack_development/tools

./database_installer.sh

It's a fairly straight forward installer, asks you a bunch of questions then imports the data. We're almost there!

cd /l2j/server/login/config

** Edit the config files to match your setup

cd ../../gameserver/config

** Edit the config files to match your setup

cd ../data

** Edit the announcements.txt to not be lame!

Remember at the beginning of the guide I told you to create a non-root user for the L2J server? Now we are going to change the permissions on all of the installed directories so that the non-root user has access to read/modify the files. On my system I have the user 'lineage2'.

cd /l2j

chown -R lineage2 *

Now we're going to start up the server to test. We're going to start screen, start the login server in the first screen, create a second screen and start the game server, then test.

screen

cd /l2j/server/login

su -c "java -Xms512m -Xmx512m -cp javolution.jar:c3p0-0.9.0.jar:mysql-connector-java-3.1.10-bin.jar:l2jserver.jar net.sf.l2j.loginserver.LoginServer" lineage2

CTRL-A C (Create a new screen)

cd /l2j/server/gameserver

su -c "java -Xms512m -Xmx512m -cp bsf.jar:javolution.jar:bsh-2.0.jar:jython.jar:c3p0-0.9.0.jar:mysql-connector-java-3.1.10-bin.jar:l2jserver.jar net.sf.l2j.gameserver.GameServer" lineage2

Viola! You now have a running game server. Of course these command lines were just to test, you'll want to modify the looping startup scripts to fit your needs. One thing to remember. Put the "EXPORT PATH=/l2j/java/bin:${PATH**" command near the start of the script so that it finds the right Java version. If you don't do this, you're server will not properly start or run. Now instead the command lines become

su -c "LoginServer_loop.sh" lineage2

su -c "GameServer_loop.sh" lineage2

Some additional recommendations for security:

1) Do not use the 'root' user for either the MySQL connection name or the user running the L2J server. Always create new users with security limited to just what they need.

2) If you don't already, use iptables to block all incoming traffic from the Internet except on ports that you really need open

3) For optimal security, you should setup the L2J server to run 'jailed' to the /l2j path so that if the server is compromised, the attacker won't get access to any other part of your server. (If I have the energy later, I'll write a guide for L2J security under Linux)

Assuming you have all of the system related prerequisites, the entire process of installing the server is about 10 minutes.

Credits:preafericitu

• 2 months later...

Linux is so confusing, i never will work with it lol

whats so confusing in it?if its too hard you can still install a desktop for it ;)

• 2 months later...