10 Things I Hate About CES (but I'm Going Anyway)

Janky™

Sin City may sound like the ideal place for a big gathering, but its hotels are designed to move in guests and keep them there. It means staying in rooms that never seem as clean as they could/should be. It means walking through smoky lobbies filled with gamblers who often have no idea the world's largest trade show is taking place. Worst of all, the city is horrible for getting around.The 2013 International CES (formerly the Consumer Electronics Show) is the must-attend trade show for all things consumer electronics. It is a "must attend" not because it is when many companies will debut new products and introduce new technology, but because so many tech journalists, analysts, insiders and others -- lots of others -- descend on Las Vegas to see those new products and new technologies.

In other words, CES has become much like a B-level celebrity that is famous for being famous. Sure, the press conferences are online, the news is leaked in advance of the show, and it is so big -- last year's show had a reported record 153,00 attendees -- that you can't see everyone/everything anyway. Yet like many of this reporter's brethren in the tech media, I keep returning.

That doesn't mean I have to like it. In fact there are numerous reasons to hate CES, something that is clearly shared by many who also feel the need to attend.