[Help] Custom Music

sakuya32

Question

I'm trying to add my own custom music to the game and I'm kinda confused. I know you can go to your Client and change music files manually, but the game just uses chunks of different music files to make a single track. (For Example in Cruma Tower it uses 3 files to create the background music, so If I alter one not only won't it sound right.... but it will be also used on another area that calls for the same file, and I don't want that.)

I'm trying to find within the Core SVN's file where can I edit which files does each zone uses to play its Music. Is this possible or is it hardcoded  on the client itself??

PS: I'm sorry I forgot to add what version on the Server Files I'm using. I am running High Five Rev. 5034

7 answers to this question

Music is pure client side, the server has nothing to do with it.

A good way to figure out next time ask what is happening is ask yourself do you see it or do you calculate it? If you see it, it's mostly like client (also hear too), if it's calculated then it's most likely the server.

Ok, so whatever flag that tells "Play this music at this spot" is on the client?  Boo that sucks.  I was curious since I was tinkering around with some Java AI files and I found the "PlaySound" command that lets me play whatever OGG file I add to the Music folder. I thought that applied to the zones and that the server had a flag that would send the packet of what music to be played.

But yes, what you said has some sense to it. I'm also guessing there is no way to work around it, like making a script that will force to play a music file once you enter an area, right?

Ok, so whatever flag that tells "Play this music at this spot" is on the client?  Boo that sucks.  I was curious since I was tinkering around with some Java AI files and I found the "PlaySound" command that lets me play whatever OGG file I add to the Music folder. I thought that applied to the zones and that the server had a flag that would send the packet of what music to be played.

But yes, what you said has some sense to it. I'm also guessing there is no way to work around it, like making a script that will force to play a music file once you enter an area, right?

Why does it suck? Generally anything on the client like music should be handled only by the client. Any less stress you can take off the server, the much much much better. But, you can just distrbute your content folders as a patch.

Why does it suck? Generally anything on the client like music should be handled only by the client. Any less stress you can take off the server, the much much much better. But, you can just distrbute your content folders as a patch.

I am not talking about server stress or whatever. I was just curious if it was possible to add Custom Music to the game (whether was server side or not) different from the current ones in the music folder. Also I do not mean just simply copying over the same files that already exist...only a noob does that.  I want to use a whole new file for a specific Zone so it doesn't share like more than one music files with other zones.  A good example of this is the game Ragnarok Online... each zone has its own music. But L2 uses a shared music file which means the same tune gets recycled on multiple zones.

That's why I asked, if it was possible to make a script that would bypass the original music file for a zone and what file in the core should I take a look to change that ?

I am not talking about server stress or whatever. I was just curious if it was possible to add Custom Music to the game (whether was server side or not) different from the current ones in the music folder. Also I do not mean just simply copying over the same files that already exist...only a noob does that.  I want to use a whole new file for a specific Zone so it doesn't share like more than one music files with other zones.  A good example of this is the game Ragnarok Online... each zone has its own music. But L2 uses a shared music file which means the same tune gets recycled on multiple zones.

That's why I asked, if it was possible to make a script that would bypass the original music file for a zone and what file in the core should I take a look to change that ?

Yes, you can. It's called alaudio.int and musicinfo.dat.

It probably is possible, as you said yourself, the playSound command. The thing is, it stops current music whatever it was and launch the one you have given.

Check the "jukebox" from admin panel as example.

If you want a particular sound is played in loop on a zone, you got 2 choices :

- make a unique task broadcasting play sound packet to all characters, that task is a repeating one (timer following song duration).

- create one timer per ppl.

Problems of each system :

- you have to wait timer is up to listen the music when you enter the zone (and putting it at entering in the zone is wrong too, as if you enter/leave the zone fast that's stupid).

- one timer per ppl means heavy use of ressources for near nothing.

General problem :

- both systems work with zones.

About client side I don't have enough knowledge to answer 100% to you, but I would say "yes". The fact is, there are stupid customs with counter strike sounds, so...