[question]Best OS

EdenEternal

Question

11 answers to this question

If you are going with Java and you have the knowledge I would suggest Linux OS (Unbutu). If you want an easy OS to run a server on I would suggest Windows Server 2003 or 2008 x64.

Depends on how much you want to spend. If you want a server firewall/antivirus I would go with VIPRE Internet Security 2013 and it only costs about $49.95 US but is a good all around internet protection suite. http://www.vipreantivirus.com/VIPRE-Internet-Security/

Be warned however that you have to worry about more DDOS than anything else because if a professional hacker wants to get into your server no firewall or antivirus is going to stop them.

Depends on how much you want to spend. If you want a server firewall/antivirus I would go with VIPRE Internet Security 2013 and it only costs about $49.95 US but is a good all around internet protection suite. http://www.vipreantivirus.com/VIPRE-Internet-Security/

Be warned however that you have to worry about more DDOS than anything else because if a professional hacker wants to get into your server no firewall or antivirus is going to stop them.

I meant the free antiviruses/firewalls :D

I meant the free antiviruses/firewalls :D

Windows firewall is great firewall. You don't need an antivirus on a server machine since you don't browse internet or download files.

Windows firewall is great firewall. You don't need an antivirus on a server machine since you don't browse internet or download files.

That it! i can download files and i'm afraid of viruses...

Well, then don't open a server. A server is for serving. If you expect to do things like you have in mind, don't worry, you will end up like everyone else who did the same. :)

If you are going to worry about things like this then it is probably best if you do not open a server at all. Windows Firewall is all you need, it is easy to use and free.