Collocate or Rent?

Codec

Question

What you guys most prefer, buy a machine and collocate it to a datacenter or just rent a machine with specifications by your choice?

Imo, if can buy a machine with great specs, better collocate of course. But for medium specs machine (a machine that you pay about 150€/month)? I just want to hear your opinions related to this.

3 answers to this question

Depending entirely on your situation.

Colocation generally comes cheaper, but your without many gaurentees - in terms of hardware failure.

+ buying a proper server generally seems out of budget for all the "great" servers that have been famous.

You could consider why ;)

It's not profitable unless your in it for the longterm haul - and you yourself have other users for a machine - should you fail.

(Statistics say you will with a 99% hitrate within 6 months ;) )

Most colocation contracts are minimum 12 months, sometimes 6.

Depending entirely on your situation.

Colocation generally comes cheaper, but your without many gaurentees - in terms of hardware failure.

+ buying a proper server generally seems out of budget for all the "great" servers that have been famous.

You could consider why ;)

It's not profitable unless your in it for the longterm haul - and you yourself have other users for a machine - should you fail.

(Statistics say you will with a 99% hitrate within 6 months ;) )

Most colocation contracts are minimum 12 months, sometimes 6.

Hmm... so its about risking. You'll have a server for 1 month and then if it will fail, you'll have to pay +5 months... e.t.c... Hm...

But do all datacenters contain contracts? I just added a colocate package, and I don't see anything for contracts.. ( I am at the last stage before completing the order.) Dunno, will see.

Thanks again :)

Hmm... so its about risking. You'll have a server for 1 month and then if it will fail, you'll have to pay +5 months... e.t.c... Hm...

But do all datacenters contain contracts? I just added a colocate package, and I don't see anything for contracts.. ( I am at the last stage before completing the order.) Dunno, will see.

Thanks again :)

I'm sure you can find some discount colocation - which probably features nasty traffic limits and shared connections with no subscription forced - and expensive prices for traffic above the limits.

Generally in the situation that starting any "private server" has, colocation of your own hardware is ALOT more risky.

(unless there is plan b for other things, and your determined to spend the money).

Problem with colo is also, that often in payment disputes your hardware is hostage.

With todays uber cheap virtual platforms, and mass sales of oldskool rack servers - renting just seems more riskfree albeit a little more expensive in long run.