[Discuss - Info - Videos]Cretan Dances & Tradition.

Coyote™

After a discussion with Setekh, I realised that.. No matter the age, or the origin, no matter the intelligence or the taste, Cretan Music can become a passion for everybody.

Having taken that as a reason, I am now creating this topic.

Allow me to begin with my beliefs.

Greek's tradition is neither rock songs, nor world wars. You see, even in the ancient years, people used dances in order to express themselves or achieve any kind of goals.

For example, Cretan Koyrites (Κουρίτες) used dances to fight their enemies, by hitting them on their head, using an air jump-like movement.

Today I decided to talk about Crete and Cretan Dances, since the very first things that come to a foreign person's mind, when he hears about Greece, are:

1) Greek Souvlaki

2) Crete

Cretan Dances have a loooong tradition, and even if they can't have the use that they used to have long ago, they are still danced by Cretans, or other Greeks.

The reason? Their spirit, the passion that the dancers feel, the ambition to learn about the past and the powerful will to feel alive!

People consider greek traditional dances as "out-of-fashion-bullergs". Although this is definitely not true! It's exactly the opposite: the chance to explore OUR past!

So, allow me to show you Cretan Dances and a few things about them & their history.

The Pentozali (Πεντοζάλι).

Even if this isn't the best example I could give you, it was the clearest version I found.

The actual dance begins with a slower pace and then proceeds with faster music & steps.

Most commonly danced by men, because of the techniques they use to provide it with extra beauty.

This doesn't mean, though, that it can't be danced by women, on the basic step.

The Maleviziotis (Μαλεβιζιώτης).

Another well known cretan dance, danced by both: women and men.

It has its basic step, and of course extra movements can be added in order to beautify it (like every Cretan Dance)!

The Lazotis (Λαζώτης).

I am glad I found such a clear version!

Here you can see another Cretan Dance, which is danced by women, and only!

You won't have the chance to see air jump-like movements, although you have the chance to see what Cretan Woman's Grace means.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSq9cewdMeU

The Trizalis (Τριζάλλης).

Here's another example of a Cretan Dance, danced only by women.

The Chaniotikos Syrtos (Χανιώτικος Συρτός).

A Dance that can be danced by both: women and men, but most commonly by men.

It does not have the style of the pentozali or the maleviziotis, although it has its own unique aura!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srp4s-6K3Lw

The Anogeianos (Ανωγειανός).

A Cretan Dance, danced by both: Women and men.

Something really weird, is that it can't be taught to a person, like any other dance.

The person has to explore its steps and the whole movement, in order to advance it, or simply dance it.

The Soysta (Σούστα).

The last one I'll be showing you, although my best one!

It's one of the most erotic dances of Greece, and is danced by a pair: A man and a woman.

The main step-style is quite normal and common, although if you advance it, you can have the chance to prove your grace, as a woman, or your manliness, as a man.

That's all about dances ladies and gentlemen!

If you have additional info about them, or their tradition, please consider sharing it with us!

That's all I wanted to share with you guys! A piece of everything I've studied the latest years.

You can now either watch and read everything above, and of course discuss with me/us about Cretan Music, or simply leave the topic.

Another note: I did not put GR Tags, which means that this topic is for both: Greeks, in order to explore our tradition, and Foreign People, in order to learn about it.

Please, tell us your own experience and comment the information I gave above.

I would certainly love to hear comments by people like Blane/Dastan/ED/Nikoloudos/Maxtor/Versus/Kenji/etc. that have the chance to live there.

Thanks.

Coyote™

V for Velocity

Global Moderator

Cheater or Cheetah?

bigger balls

longer posts  >:( xD

I'll check those videos later at afternoon coz the conection from where i'm talking suck hard.

Hope i'm gonna enjoy the videos.  ;)

Well Crete is well known for its history and traditions.It's not random that a lot of people from all over the world their first tourist destination is Crete.Also a lot of people sell everything they have at their country and they come to live at Crete.They passionate with the traditions that we have and the beautiful places.

Well Crete is well known for its history and traditions.It's not random that a lot of people from all over the world their first tourist destination is Crete.Also a lot of people sell everything they have at their country and they come to live to Crete.They passionate with the traditions that we have and the beautiful places.

It's true, and it's more than good to have a sign that Greece is not dead.

At least its tradition.

At least its tradition.

All my father's customer are people like the one I described.They sold everything at their country and they came at Crete to live.

At least its tradition.

Well, Greek history will never die. Especialy the ancient one. (I love ancient history)

But you're making me curious about this. I though Greece didn't rly had any tradition about music.

I though Greece didn't rly had any tradition about music.

LOL.

Unlike other countries it's one of the few that has kept its tradition and keeps spreading it.

I was at crete too xD the last summer :P

it was awesome xD i went to many towns and i visited a lot of places :o

i didnt dance tho xD i dont know :P but i went to a restaurant with live music... awesome songs xD i had great time :D

so maybe i will visit crete again this summer xD

LOL.

Unlike other countries it's one of the few that has kept its tradition and keeps spreading it.

ye i got the point. Same and here. Especialy on weedings, traditional songs are well singed.

i like a lot old/traditional live songs.

and not only me but many albanians love greek bouzouki

but still i guess Yugoslavia (Serbia, Montenegro) and Romania pwn us in music as for traditional ones and nowdays ones. :P

but still i guess Yugoslavia (Serbia, Montenegro) and Romania pwn us in music as for traditional ones and nowdays ones. :P

"us" you mean greeks + albanians or albanians only?

both.

Well i think Coyote should make more topics to show you some things about greek tradition :)

Do u know anything about Tsamiko? Kalamantiano etc?