L2J, L2Retail, L2Off differences

I think that 80% of L2 players have no idea what the f**k is L2J, L2Off and all other L2's.

So I decidet to make this topic to explain some of it.

As you all know, Lineage 2 was made by NCSOFT some years ago. To play the game online you need server to play on.

Originaly Lineage 2 game servers were made by NCSOFT and they are retail (official) servers. (You have to pay each month to play on retail servers.)

After some time when Lineage 2 came out some people stole Lineage 2 retail server software and uploaded it for public use.

I don't know if it was C1 or C4 that was stolen but it doesn't matter.

This stolen version is called L2Off (L2 Official).

And then there is L2J (L2 Java) servers. (Some info about Java here: java.com: Java + You . Java is not JavaScript ^^ )

(They are also called Lineage 2 emulators.)

L2J is aviable for free and it is legal to run L2J server.

L2J servers are not as good in performance (and in general) as L2Retail, L2Off servers but they are easy to set up and they get updated more frequently.

There have been some tries to make new L2 server on C++ but I have no idea if anyone made working version.

When pople say L2Retail they mean retail Lineage 2 servers. (Lineage II: The Chaotic Throne - Top Fantasy MMORPG by NCsoft)

When pople say L2Off they mean the stolen illegal Lineage 2 server. (Usualy it has the same performace and it works the same way but people developing L2Off usualy don't share their work and you can't get updates so easy)

When people say L2J they mean Lineage 2 server based on java.

(L2J is slow, it starts lagging even on powerfull server machines when there are couple hundred players online.)

So basicaly L2Off and L2Retail is allmost the same. (for example treasure chest patches will work on L2off and L2retail because they are made the same way but it will never work on L2J)

If you find a mistake post here.

P.S. All I wrote here is crap. I didn't check any mistakes and... well maybe it will be usefull for someone.

• Thanks 1

I think that 80% of L2 players have no idea what the f**k is L2J, L2Off and all other L2's.

90% at least, most of them are admins screaming for help instead of searching for solutions :)

After some time when Lineage 2 came out some people stole Lineage 2 retail server software and uploaded it for public use.

I don't know if it was C1 or C4 that was stolen but it doesn't matter.

This stolen version is called L2Off (L2 Official).

Both were stolen at different times, from parts of the game development team from inside NCSOFT, these files are known as "leaked official files" (although you will not find the exact copy of them, many have modded them and only modded files are out there, and many of them are backdoored)

And then there is L2J (L2 Java) servers. (Some info about Java here: java.com: Java + You . Java is not JavaScript ^^ )

(They are also called Lineage 2 emulators.)

L2J is aviable for free and it is legal to run L2J server.

L2J servers are not as good in performance (and in general) as L2Retail, L2Off servers but they are easy to set up and they get updated more frequently.

Big, Epic, -WRONG-. L2J Servers are only unstable because of the loads of crap all the server admins put on it. If you know how to code in Java you can sit down and optimize the code in order to use less system resources, and advanced functions for handling. A developer who has done that is/was one of the L2jFree team, NB4L1. Some time ago he said he reduced the startup load memory to 256mb (When now you most newbs server admins give 1024 - 2048 memory to their servers ON STARTUP not on high server load)

I've seen L2J servers last for 3-4 weeks without rr, and even NCSOFT has maintenance downtimes every week.

There have been some tries to make new L2 server on C++ but I have no idea if anyone made working version.

Many tried, many got bored and went to Java, although I knew of a project that went quite well. (I'd like to see a C++ emulator for that)

When pople say L2Retail they mean retail Lineage 2 servers. (Lineage II: The Chaotic Throne - Top Fantasy MMORPG by NCsoft)

When pople say L2Off they mean the stolen illegal Lineage 2 server. (Usualy it has the same performace and it works the same way but people developing L2Off usualy don't share their work and you can't get updates so easy)

When people say L2J they mean Lineage 2 server based on java.

(L2J is slow, it starts lagging even on powerfull server machines when there are couple hundred players online.)

So basicaly L2Off and L2Retail is allmost the same. (for example treasure chest patches will work on L2off and L2retail because they are made the same way but it will never work on L2J)

L2Retail and L2Off = Lineage2.com

L2Off -BASED- (Key word) servers = Servers based on the official leaked/modded files

L2J = What he said, except the lag part. Again, servers with PROPER Java devs have 2-3k server with minimum lag.

-My Addition-

L2J : Uses MySQL, runs on both Windows and *NIX machines, is split into LoginServer and GameServer.

L2Off Based: Uses MSSQL(Microsoft SQL), runs ONLY On Windows, is split into LoginServer, GameServer, WorldServer, NPCServer. (Which is the main advantage, since on high server loads you split those in 4 different hardcore machines :) )

-/My Addition-

If you find a mistake post here.

P.S. All I wrote here is crap. I didn't check any mistakes and... well maybe it will be usefull for someone.

Well, mostly, but is ok :)

Best Regards.

Hardware has come far enough now that even on low end DEDICATED servers, L2J runs just fine. The problems start when the admin is a retard and doesn't opt for 8gb+ ram.

L2J is slow, it starts lagging even on powerfull server machines when there are couple hundred players online.

Bullshit. Want to know why a lot of servers start lagging with about 100 people on? Because of retards who decided that their shitty DSL connection and their personal computer were enough to host a server. So because of them, because there are SOOOOOOO many of these asshats running about, creating L2J servers on shitty packs, it ruins the entire community because then everyone goes "Oh! L2J! Yeah I was on an L2J server once and it SUCKED! So all L2J servers probably suck!!!"

Let's look at what the majority of shitty L2J servers (and there are a lot) have in common...

They don't configure SQL properly.

They don't optimize SQL to run on their specific hardware.

They use bad table types (typically myisam).

They have shitty hard drives in their "servers" (I use that term lightly).

They think they can host a server AND play from the same machine.

They think 2-4Gb of ram is enough (lol! maybe if you don't want geodata and to have mysql completely memory resident, have fun with that... lol).

They don't have a UPS installed.

They think their shitty, 3rd world DSL connection can support more than 10 players at once.

They're from... well... guess. lol

just a few corrections, l2j is not legal, people think it is cause its a another programing language which was not made by NCsoft, but who made the textures their server uses? and where the whole l2 idea come from? Ncsoft:P so basicly due to copyright it is ilegal to run an l2j server as much as an l2off. Both C1 and C4 were stolen at different times.

just a few corrections, l2j is not legal, people think it is cause its a another programing language which was not made by NCsoft, but who made the textures their server uses? and where the whole l2 idea come from? Ncsoft:P so basicly due to copyright it is ilegal to run an l2j server as much as an l2off. Both C1 and C4 were stolen at different times.

Textures are client side, not server side. Try again.

L2J servers are kinda stable now same as l2OFF servers But the main problem is from Developers...

There are lot of reasons...

- They doesn't know a sh*t about hosting server

- Uploading single L2J Emulator without changes

- Creating lot of random unstable customs

And lot of more

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is an opinion that nothing was stolen

NCSOFT leaked their files on intention

packs leaked:

1. Prelude server C0

2. Meifu C1

3. Sina C1 (all c1 privates based on it cause it more improved than Meifu)

4. C4PTS

packs stolen:

1. NASC compiler for Prelude

2. several pieces of Prelude C++ source

3. Gracia Final html pack for Russian retail servers

• 1 month later...