[Tutorial] How to Customize Text Into a Photograph Using Photoshop!

K4rMa

Here’s the result of this tutorial. I show other examples of what could be done at the end:

Text21.jpg

Here I have a photograph of a cat that I’ll use in this tutorial:

Text01.jpg

The first thing I’ll do is go to the text tool in the tools palette:

Text02.jpg

When I click on the “text tool”, I’ll be able to see all of my options on the tool bar at the top of the screen. For the text font I’ll choose “Impact” and for the text size I’ll choose “400pt” and I’ll leave the rest at the default settings. This is what it looks like:

Text03.jpg

Now I’ll type in the word “CAT”. When I’m finished, I’ll click the check at the top of the screen to make the application active:

Text04.jpg

The text tool will create its own layer:

Text05.jpg

Now I’ll take the “move tool” and position the word where I want it on the photograph:

Text06.jpg

This is what it looks like at this point:

Text07.jpg

Now I’ll change the name of the background layer to unlock it. This way I’ll be able to reposition the layers. I’ll name it “Original Background”:

Text08.jpg

Next I’ll drag the top layer named “CAT” under the “Original Background”:

Text09.jpg

Now that I’ve done this, the word “CAT” is gone. That’s ok. To get the word back, all I have to do is hold the ALT key on my keyboard at the same time I’ll hover my mouse over the line between the two layers, and click. I’ll be able to see the cursor turn into a circle with a black ball in it. That’s when I’ll click:

Text10.jpg

Here the background disappeared, leaving only the text:

Text11.jpg

At this point, I’m going to give the word a drop shadow and a little bevel and emboss. At the bottom of the layer palette, I’ll click on the “Add a Layer Style” icon:

Text12.jpg

Here I’ll click on Drop Shadow:

Text13.jpg

These are my setting for the Drop Shadow:

Text14.jpg

And here are my settings for Bevel and Emboss. This part is a matter of taste. See what suites your photo. When I’m happy with my results I’ll click OK:

Text15.jpg

Now I’ll click on the “Original Layer” and hit CTRL+J on my keyboard to make a copy. Then I’ll drag the “copy” layer to the bottom of the layers stack. This is what it should look like at this point:

Text16.jpg

And this is what the photo looks like at this point:

Text17.jpg

Now I can do whatever I want to the background. I can blur it, swirl it, and paint in a color or just paint in white.

While the copy layer is active, I’ll go to Filter/Blur/Radial Blur:

Text18.jpg

Here the Radial Blur dialog box comes up. I’ll set the Amount to 77, Blur Method to “Zoom” and Quality I’ll leave at “Good”. Then I’ll click OK:

Text19.jpg

Here’s the final effect:

Text21.jpg

Here are some more examples of what you can do with this:

Text22.jpg

Text23.jpg

Text24.jpg

Text25.jpg

credits ~~ >  LorriFreedman

• 11 months later...