[Guide] How to make a CD/DVD Bootable

Blane

Hello guys!

Today, my mood is really good, so I decided to share a guide.I'm creating it right now and it's completely mine.I didn't copy it from somewhere.Now, let's begin.

How To Burn/Create a Bootable CD/DVD

-Basic Information

You should first know what the hell "boot" means.This guide is for newbies, so I'm gonna explain it as simple as I can.When you write your CD/DVD with the "Boot" option,you insert the cd/dvd in your drive and restart your computer -with some options set in computer's motherboard settings- you'll see that the content of your bootable cd/dvd will start running.This is the most simple way I can explain it.Don't worry about the "motherboard settings" as we're gonna discuss them in the last lines of this topic.

-What you'll need

● Windows.For more curious persons, it works with Linux too (via Wine).

● Basic Computer Knowledge (Like clicking buttons etc ^^).

● Human abilities (You must have the ability to see pictures :P).

● Let's get serious.You will need Magic ISO.It's a utility which can be found here.You can use the trial version, in order to do your job (Pm me if you want crack).

-Ready.Set.Go!

→ First Step is to open the program.C'mon I trust you! Go in the Start > All Programs > MagicISO.Open it! You'll see this:

BlanesGuide01.jpg

→ Secondly, click File -> New ->  Bootable CD/DVD Image. You should now make some settings... (it's not that hard don't be afraid)

a) First select (it should be already selected) the third option "From Bootable Image File" and click the icon on the right.

b) Browse your files and select your image.

c) Tick "Enable Expert Settings (For Advanced Users Only!)".Don't be afraid it's not for advanced.I'll help you through.

d) Set "Kind of" to : "No Emulation" (From default it's in "Floppy Emulation"...who the hell uses floppy nowadays huh?).

e) Set "Load segment" to : 0000.

f) Set "Sector Count" to : 6.

Your options should now look like this:

BlanesGuide02.jpg

Click ok!

→ Step Three it's too easy! You should only press one button. I know it sounds difficult, but see the picture below.This is how your

screen looks like after the first 2 steps we do:

width=601 height=480http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm184/nas0sgr/BlanesGuide03.jpg[/img]

Just click the image I show you in the picture!

→ Now you got a new dialogue and you have to select some options:

a) Select your driver.

b) Select the speed of the writing.

c) Tick "Finalize CD".

d) Press "Burn it!"

Something like this:

BlanesGuide04.jpg

Ok you're done now.You should wait to finish.If it says "Closing Disk" or something like this in the end, and it's slow, don't think it's stuck.It just need some time to close the -beep-ing disk.Be patient! :P

-Ok and now?

Now, my dear friend, you have your bootable cd/dvd on your hands.Don't get scared cause the cd/dvd jumps out when the whole process is finished with no warning.So don't put coffee and stuff near the driver (Especially for laptops).Now that you have your cd, you have to restart your pc and jump in to the settings of your system.In order to do so, you need to press, some seconds before your OS is loaded, a key-combination.I can't know this combination as it's not the same for all systems (ex. in Acer it's TAB+F2).In some part of the screen it will say : "PRESS (BUTTON COMBINATION) TO ENTER SETUP".Anyway call your pc technician I don't care :P.When you manage to enter your setup menu you have to find somewhere the "Boot" option.

Now, the "difficult" part.You should change the order of the hardware.Your computer is reading your hard disks (one or more) every time it boots to find it's operating system.You have to say "NO" on this and change the order.Actually you have to set the first "Bootable Device" to your driver.In this way your computer is going to read the driver -> the cd -> and your boot data :).I know that this part may be difficult, but as I said before, I can't really know which system each one here has, so I can't help more than this.Search in google in order to set your options in your motherboard.

-Need Feedback?

Post here or pm me.

As an example, I just made a Windows Server 2003 r2 x64 copy right now!

Hope you liked it.Post some comments if you want to :)

-Blane

" ● Windows.For more curious persons, it works with Linux too (via Wine)."

man but you know that you dont need anything like that to make a bootable iso at linux xD about program...

you can use

-nero

-winiso

-alcochol

and as you used

-magic iso

or :>

if you are to lazy to burn it and like to use your usb stick with few clicks xD

you need just fdisk whith is totaly free :D

now this is what you need to do (in example 4gb usb was used)

- Invoke parted for the USB device, e.g. parted /dev/sdu

- Display the current partition layout with print, which produces an output similar to:

Disk /dev/sdu: 4151MB

Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B

Partition Table: msdos

mber  Start      End      Size      Type    File system  Flags

1    16,4kB  4150MB  4150MB  primary      fat32        boot

- Remove the original partition with rm 1

- Create a new partition with mkpart primary fat32 0 4151MB (for a device smaller than 2GB replace fat32 with fat16, the last value is the size as shown by print)

- Create the VFAT(32) filesystem with mkfs 1 fat32 (for a device smaller than 2GB replace fat32 with fat16)

- Mark the partition as bootable with toggle 1 boot

- The partition table as shown with print should now look like:

Disk /dev/sdu: 4151MB

Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B

Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start    End      Size      Type    File system  Flags

1        0,51kB  4151MB  4151MB  primary  fat32          boot, lba

- Exit parted with quit

thats all :]

ofcourse you can use fat16 for smaller space or vfat(32)