Looking For A Making-Launcher Guide

TokiaBurke

if you you are just trying to create your own launcher (simply launch the game to connect to ur server without editing the l2ini or hosts. go download visual studio or visual basic, go to youtube and type in wow launcher vb tutorial and see how they are done. its really simple. to start your l2 client you have to run the l2.bin or l2.exe. you can use a shell command with parameters like shell l2.exe IP=127.0.0.1 to start your client wit the desired ip binding (in this case local server)

just go ahead and try it out ;)

if you want to have an update function try first to keep it as simple as possible allowing your updater do automatically download files if a versionnumber was changed (for example a value in a textfile) if the value on ur local machine is different than on ur servers update folder, download patch.zip and unzip overwriting all older data

another and better solution is to compare every clientfile to your existing source clientcopy (your updatesource) by handling a full check on existing files. to do so you can use for example hash values. so an existing hash value on ur server is compared to a generated hash value of the current file ur updater is trying to find out whether to keep or to replace it.

- if you need a simple launcher you can go with the very first step.

- if you want a complex updater (quite complicated) dont bother urself there are plenty good shared sources you can google for (dont buy any updaters from other people since they are using exactly those shared files with a simple change in design, nothing more)

Edited by Finn

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Finn,

I tried to add my server IP but still not work.

I tried "path\\to\\l2.exe ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port=10000".

Could you please show me an example?

Is there anyway to know the args for l2.exe's input?

Thanks,

Toki

You are really my big help.

Thank a lot.

But i tried that and nothing happened.

I even build to "debug/bin/ launcher.exe" and throw launcher into same folder with l2.bin/l2.exe  and change my  LAN IP for  my own server(test server).

But still like that.

I'm sorry. I'm to new to  lineage customization.

Did i miss something.

Could you please show me?

Public Class frmMain
    Dim SERVER_IP As String = "10.0.0.1"
    Dim IP_FILE As String = "connect.ini"

Private Sub frmMain_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        'make form invisible
        Me.Visible = False

'get ip from file, if it exists
        If File.Exists(IP_FILE) Then
            Using fileReader As StreamReader = New StreamReader(IP_FILE)
                SERVER_IP = Integer.Parse(fileReader.ReadLine)
            End Using
        End If

'execute l2.bin
        Try
            Shell("L2.bin IP=" + SERVER_IP, vbNormalFocus)
        Catch ex As Exception
            MsgBox("L2.bin not found! Try checking your files.", MsgBoxStyle.Critical, "L2")
        End Try

'close L2
        End
    End Sub
End Class