Ranzor's Server Design Help Thread

Hello readers and potential future partners,

I have decided to offer you guys something that is a rather rare sight on these forums. Although you can find basicly everything on Maxcheaters, the forum only offers you components, but it is never able to tell you whether your server actually needs it or if it will only create another annoying customization that does not fit into the concept at all.

Being a Lineage 2 player ever since C4 and being a gamer for god knows how many years, playing on countless different L2 servers and playing just as many different games, while looking for THE GAME to play for a longer period of time, I have evolved an interest in finding flaws in game concepts to find out whether or not I should stick to the game, or just move on to find something else worth playing. While I spent time looking at other people's work, I felt the urge to create something on my own, to do it right, to be able to do something creative, to satisfy people. This urge helped me to find the motivation to work on something I could call my own, over and over, coming up with newer ingame designs each time and helped me to get to know the game better from a server owner's point of view.

I was never able to open my own server until January 2014. This server could not stay open for a variety of reasons and had to be closed down early. The experience gained helped me to understand what having a live and stable server with a demanding community means and requires from the owner and that being able to deliver a quality server, needs someone with a broad knowledge base in administration, game design and programming.

To avoid any misunderstandings, I am NOT A PROGRAMMER. I do not have any experience in programming, nor do I know any languages.

What I offer:

- Help to re/design your server (if you have a general idea, but don't know where to start, or if you just feel like you are stuck, don't know whats next)

- Re/balancing classes and item stats (Having a good sense taking every angle into consideration, I can quickly determine whether or not something fits into your current balance. I am really open on this one, customized/non-customized. It's all on you.)

What I have:

- Over a decade long experience in many different games

- Dedication and the love for detail

What I expect:

- Good English skills, because we are going to communicate a lot

- Motivation from your side

Status

Currently working on a request but feel free to add or PM me

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Number one question, do you ask for money?

A. No, I do this for free. If you want to reward me for it, you are more than welcome.

Q. Can you really do what you promise?

A. Test me. Add me on Skype and confront me with an issue on your server.

Q. Why are you doing this?

A. The game is old, the community is still alive, many poorly designed servers, I want to give back something to the game I loved, I like helping/teaching/theorycrafting, ...

Q. Will I have to make you a GM or give you FTP, Database, whatever access?

A. No. I will however ask for a few skill/item XML files, most of the packs are designed differently, taking a look at them will help me determine what the limits are.

Q. Game client versions?
A. From Interlude to Hi5. These are the clients I feel the most comfortable with, I can however give general advice, if you happen to have a server that is none of the versions I mentioned.

Q. How do you know what my server needs?

A. If you already have a server and you are looking for a second opinion, I will have to log in to it and look around WITH YOUR HELP. Explain to me what you have been up to, I will point out possible mistakes you may have not noticed, we will work on this TOGETHER. In short: I am working WITH YOU, not FOR YOU.

Q. Do you want to become a GM on my server?

A. No, I am only looking to help you to come up with a working concept for your server, no player support, sorry.

Q. Will you help me setup/install/pay for my server?
A. No, I am strictly here for ingame matters.

Q. Do you only work on custom servers?
A. No, but obviously a retail-like server is... retail-like. So it doesn't require change or allow you to play around with things.

Q. If there are multiple help requestst, when will you be able to help me?

A. I will be going through requests in a chronological order, some servers may require more attention than others, I will be updating my status in this post.

Q. Will you take every request?
A. I will attempt to, yes. If the person is obnoxious or doesn't want to work together, I will decline requests.

I will be constantly reading this topic, if anything is unclear or you have further questions, feel free to ask here or in PMs.

Skype - daniel.ferencz10 (Make sure you also message me here on the Maxcheaters forums, Skype has this weird habit of not sending contact requests.)

Edited by ranzor

Cool.

I don't mean to be offensive, but how do you imagine it will look and sound like from a 3rd POV?

Also, just because server are keep getting made doesn't mean the community is alive. Development is stagnated. People who can do things have no vision. People who have vision cannot do things. Neither can work together because of the third type - assholes that make servers for donations. This causes a huge sense of distrust between the former two.

Edited by Epiquin

Yes, that is certainly an issue. However, people that are only interested in the donations, aren't as committed to put effort into their servers and can be easily spotted. I am offering my help to those who are more passionate but lack in theoretical knowledge. I know it first hand, how it is when people are too blinded by the potential extra income and I'm positive that I can filter those out.