[Request]Instructions for Reinstalling MySQL + Navicat (on Win7)

papagei

Question

Hello guys, as the topic says - I would be glad if someone could write an instruction how to reinstall especially MySQL Server (5.5) without getting the error message (see below):

In first instance I had installed everything and all just went fine, but navicat ran out of trial mode - so I decided to deinstall and install the free version! (first mistake I did  >:()

After that I tried to setup the premium navicat again, but didn't respond to mysql server password. Some local host error! (didn't realize that in the install dir where still old config files - I deleted them and reinstalled.)

Still didnt't worked, then I decided to uninstall Mysql and Navicat, cleaned up afterwards the registry.

At last I reinstalled both -> first mysql but I couldn't go further any more to set up mysql server. In MySQLInstanceConfig.exe I went through all that steps again: 1. Prepare configuration ok, 2. Write configuration file (C:\Program Files\MySQL....) ok, 3. Start Service ok, but on 4. Apply security settings this ERROR shows always up!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/errormysql.png

I had read about this error alot in the web, but couldn't manage to find some solution to fix this problem. It is definitly not a firewall problem, because it worked on first install without any problem! I think I wouldn't had this *messed up problem* if I didn't decided to uninstall first installation. So problem is the mysql password, but I know I am putting (still the old an right one inside the MySQLInstanceConfig.exe, but it doesn't respond so I get always the above error message!

If you had similar or identical problems like this, I would be pleased if you contribute your knowledge how to solve this issue.

Thank you very much in advance.

9 answers to this question

Hi this will not solve your problem but u will be able to use MySQL again.

1. first you stop the mysql service ( control panel -> administrative tools -> services -> select mysql > and stop the service)

2. open a command prompt and change the path until you reach bin directory of mysql

Ex. i installed mysql at D:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0

and type mysqld --skip-grant-tables

(D:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\bin>mysqld --skip-grant-tables)

3. Leave this window as it is and open another command prompt and change the path until you reach bin directory of mysql

and type mysqlcheck --check-upgrade --all-databases --auto-repair

(D:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\bin>mysqlcheck --check-upgrade --all-databases --auto-repair)

4. Type mysql and press enter

Thx for the fast response, I will give it a try - soon I will check it up and be back with feedback!

Edit:

Here is already the first error I got...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/718/cmderror1.png/

...am I not supposed to connect on localhost? What next?

actually i found solution and it worked for me ,i'm using win7 btw and i did that (but probably it will work for other OS too):

Uninstsall MySQL using the uninstaller.

Delete C:\Program Files\MySQL

Delete C:\Program Files (x86)\MySQL

Delete C:\ProgramData\MySQL

Delete from any Users' AppData folders. Example: C:\Users\rdoverby\AppData\Roaming\MySQL

Reinstall MySQL

actually i found solution and it worked for me ,i'm using win7 btw and i did that (but probably it will work for other OS too):

Uninstsall MySQL using the uninstaller.

Delete C:\Program Files\MySQL

Delete C:\Program Files (x86)\MySQL

Delete C:\ProgramData\MySQL

Delete from any Users' AppData folders. Example: C:\Users\rdoverby\AppData\Roaming\MySQL

Reinstall MySQL

I must thank you very much indeed angerfis7, it helped me alot to restore this messup:

3rd step wasn't made by myself, but also it wasn't mentioned anywhere I was searchig for.

Good luck br0!

Issue is solved and topic can be closed!

Hi this will not solve your problem but u will be able to use MySQL again.

1. first you stop the mysql service ( control panel -> administrative tools -> services -> select mysql > and stop the service)

2. open a command prompt and change the path until you reach bin directory of mysql

Ex. i installed mysql at D:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0

and type mysqld --skip-grant-tables

(D:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\bin>mysqld --skip-grant-tables)

3. Leave this window as it is and open another command prompt and change the path until you reach bin directory of mysql

and type mysqlcheck --check-upgrade --all-databases --auto-repair

(D:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\bin>mysqlcheck --check-upgrade --all-databases --auto-repair)

4. Type mysql and press enter

are you sure you  left first command prompt window open ? ("--skip-grant-tables" do not close this one, open another command prompt)

when skip grant tables is running u will not have problem with 2nd step "mysqlcheck --check-upgrade --all-databases --auto-repair"

are you sure you  left first command prompt window open ? ("--skip-grant-tables" do not close this one, open another command prompt)

when skip grant tables is running u will not have problem with 2nd step "mysqlcheck --check-upgrade --all-databases --auto-repair"

I had left 1st. window open, so NO I didn't forget this step...but still the error appeared!

Request: close TOPIC, case: Issue solved!