[Dota]Getting Started...with DOTA(by Noble)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

1)What items should i select in the beginning ?

The sure thing i that you should NOT choose Boots of Speed as your first item!it reduces your chances to survive and makes your trips to your fountain more frequently which result in:

-less exp

-less gold

-loss of time

-enemy strengthens while you remain weaker than him

-enemy farms

the best option for you is to combine your gamestyle with your knowledge around your character ..this means, that if you are familiar with the character that you chose/randomed !if you dont know him choose 2 Slippers of agility and 1 circlet of nobility (for AGI heroes) and 1 tango(the tree alike item)  for STR heroes choose 2 gauntlets of strength 1 circlet of nobility and 1 tango INT heroes build vary either choosing 2 Mantle of intelligence 1 circlet of nobility and 1 tango or Sobi Mask and a Ring of Protection (it will auto create Ring of Basilius) and 1 healing salve

thanks a lot for that !

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Excuse me...but there are 2 mistakes...

creepskip= it is allowed...no you wont be called noob cause its official announced...noob is the one who doesnt know it ( i dont call u ppl noob lol xD )

backdoor= it is allowed and at tournaments u dont get punished for this...u ask why? cause the new maps of dota have the antibackdoor system...the towers automatically heal if u attack them by yourself and it can reach 100% regeneration...

Those are all official...thanks for listening :)

• 4 weeks later...

Excuse me...but there are 2 mistakes...

creepskip= it is allowed...no you wont be called noob cause its official announced...noob is the one who doesnt know it ( i dont call u ppl noob lol xD )

backdoor= it is allowed and at tournaments u dont get punished for this...u ask why? cause the new maps of dota have the antibackdoor system...the towers automatically heal if u attack them by yourself and it can reach 100% regeneration...

Those are all official...thanks for listening :)

Created: [Dota]Getting Started...with DOTA(by Noble)

« on: 20 February 2009, 21:47:56 »

« Last Edit: 20 February 2009, 22:28:16 by NobLe »

lol'd

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i was pmed by a guy and asked to make a specific guide about general tips at Dota,and thats the reason why Balanar 's guide is still on queue until now!(this was for answering to pms about when Balanar's & Strygwyr's guides will be published

This guide, i hope that we will cover many dark points or difficult decisions and it will sure make you feel more comfortable and familiar with the game(if you are starter)

Feel free to put comments in order to improve the quality of this guide or adds you would like to see!

CREDITS:NoBLE

We will try to solve the following questions:

2)What is lane?

3)How to survive

4)What is last hit and deny?

5)What is the secret shop and where are they?

6)What is jungling?is it allowed?

7)The dota vocabulary and what do they all mean

8)What is Ghost,BL(Ban List)?

9)Which modes of games exist?

10)What is the symbol next to my hero portrait and stats?

11)What is Backdoor(bd)?is it allowed?

12)What is Dota's purpose ? how do we win/lose?

The sure thing i that you should NOT choose Boots of Speed as your first item!it reduces your chances to survive and makes your trips to your fountain more frequently which result in:

-less exp

-less gold

-loss of time

-enemy strengthens while you remain weaker than him

-enemy farms

the best option for you is to combine your gamestyle with your knowledge around your character ..this means, that if you are familiar with the character that you chose/randomed !if you dont know him choose 2 Slippers of agility and 1 circlet of nobility (for AGI heroes) and 1 tango(the tree alike item)  for STR heroes choose 2 gauntlets of strength 1 circlet of nobility and 1 tango INT heroes build vary either choosing 2 Mantle of intelligence 1 circlet of nobility and 1 tango or Sobi Mask and a Ring of Protection (it will auto create Ring of Basilius) and 1 healing salve

2)What is Lane and Lane Control?

Dota map has 3 roads(or lines) with allied towers along the road until half way and enemy towers until the enemy base ...towers re extremely difficult in early/mid games to be brought down easily so keep your self out of its range until you destroy it!thats what your creeps do mostly!Remember that towers provide a good source of gold when destroyed ;)

Lane control is your influence against your enemy!if he makes no trouble to your farming or he doesnt or cant kill you continuously  then it is good for you as this means that you control your line!if he pawnz you or you cant farm easily or you return to fountain many times for healing then you should reconsider changing line with a teammate or ask for help

3)How to survive

i believe this does NOT need tons of mind to do this!it means DONT be rambo or schwartzenegger in terminator series or chuck norris  and seek kills by any means even for a creep or a hero.this might lead to a futile death of your side giving your enemy exp and extra gold

4) Last hit is what the word says! in order to achieve that you only have to give the devastating last attack hit on your target ! LAST HIT ALWAYS AWARDS GOLD and that is one of your targets(farm)

Deny is when you kill your allied troops or towers in order to prevent your enemy from farming gets exp and gold!denying is a vital action for your lane control as you can gain a serious advantage  over your enemy if you move smart ;)

Denying can be achieved by pressing the "A" button and click your tower or creep!you will then start attacking your own troop  and kill it ^^

5)What is the secret shop and where are they?

secret shops are 2 npc located in the forests on the map one for each side(Sentinel-Scourge)its name is Leragas and first appeared in 6.42 map ^^  those 2 shops are accesible by all and contain great items needed for recipes but also require a considerable amount of gold to be bought

Sentinel Area Location

Scourge Area Location

6)What is jungling?is it allowed?

Jungling is when you roam into the jungles/forests and exp from the neutral creeps located in there!some ppl need to jungle for some minutes but it is NOT wise to stay in there for ever!it might turn your teammates mad and they probably kick you !the reasons are simple! Jungling is only for some minutes in order to recover some lost exp if you stayed back in these terms but doesnt provide you exp or gold from the lines and you will surely lose your lane control!they ll call you noob and kick you out!

in conclusion jungling is allowed but not for ever!

7)The dota vocabulary and what do they all mean

Host:is the game creator,can kick players,empty slots before starting,can switch players in game..consider him like the map admin(though his gamestyle is not overpowered than yours.as players you are 100% equals)

noob/nab/mega noob/n00b:is the known NOOB!

mode:is the map mode of selecting characters

deny:mentioned above

last hit:mentioned above

b:back to the base

shop:you went or going for shoping

def:defence

push:fight your way through

up:is the upper lane

mid:is the mid lane

down:is the down lane

retard/tard:is the known retards,idiots

roshan/rosh:is the map boss(no need to kill him for the level completion)

rune:are buffs located in the river.

leaver:when somebody leaves a game on purpose to escape humiliation

feeder:is when somebody dies to the enemy too many times in advantage of your foes gaming and in disadvantage of your team

8)What is Ghost,BL(Ban List)?

these are programs found in various dota sites which improve gaming,calculate pings,autohost games etc

Banlist is a local banlist when some players put names on when somebody leaves a game or feeds and prevents him when from playing in his games informing the others of his noobness

9)Which modes of games exist?

there are many modes but since this guide is for starters i ll introduce you the basic modes only

-ap : all pick you can choose a hero from any tavern you like(sentinel sided or scourge)(pick a hero = 250g)

-rd : round pick is an auto pick of characters where you choose by turn amongst the players from a circle ! (pick a hero cost no gold)

-ar all random is when the computer picks a character for you!if you dont like it you can put the computer to select you another char by typing -repick command in your chat!(random pick costs no gold)

(repick costs 250 gold)

-sd single draft enables you the pick of 1 hero amongst 3 of all professions(Strength hero,Agility Hero,Intelligence Hero)(pick costs 250 gold)

normal mode enables you to choose heroes ONLY from your side taverns!if you are sentinel you can choose heroes from the taverns located only in sentinels side!same for scourge

10)What is the symbol next to my hero portrait and stats?

the symbols indicate your hero's profession

Fist=Strength hero(affect HPbonus,HP regen,and damage)

Foot=Agility hero(affect Attack speed,armor,evasion,damage)

Head=Intelligence hero(affect MP,MP regen)

11)What is Backdoor(bd)?is it allowed?

Backdoor is when you attack or taking out any enemy building or towers alone without the presence of any allied creeps and it is NOT allowed.if do so you are considered noob !you will be considered  noob too if you creep skip without the support of your own creeps...avoid that at any cost!they ll just throw you out

12)What is Dota's purpose ? how do we win/lose?

purpose of every map is to destroy Tree of life if you are scourge player or destroy The Frozen throne if you belong to the sentinel side!they can be destroyed only when you have destroyed the 2 towers guarding them

13)What is -em on modes?

-em is easy mode! you gain double gold from time plus creeps are less harder to be killed and towers are weaker in terms of armor damage and hp !

very nice noble,thanks you.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

it's fun :P

@Noble: Thanks a lot for this guide :)

it surely deserves to be stickied and i am so glad finally wow section is starting to have more acitivity :D

• 1 month later...