Discussion [Suggestions] HeavenCMS - L2j Content Management System

Greetings,

It's been a long time since I posted something about my Lineage CMS. The development has been rough, a developer left a few months ago, and I was in need of a new one. However, I might have found someone who may be interested in working with me.

We had a chat last night, and we were in discussion what would be the best way to publish and distribute the CMS. We also wrote down a small feature list what the CMS should have. Furthermore, we came up with a list of features, but I also want to ask you guys, what would you like to have included in the CMS? As a player and as a Server Owner.

There is also the question about the price. We know, there are like one or two solutions in terms of a CMS at lineage. Which are

• WizardCP (Currently, has a cost of €1,500)
  • UnsimpleWorld Themes (Currently, has a cost of €3000-3,500) <- Those usually come with WizardCP included.
  • MMOWEB (Currently, has a cost of €30 monthly - excluding the plugins you can buy on a monthly basis at their page)
  • AtualStudio Themes (Currently, has a cost of €250-350)

As stated in the HeavenCMS topic, I wanted to make a CMS that everyone can afford. Which means, a low price and only with a one time fee. In short, you pay once, and it's done. But the licensing solutions are limited and we, at this time, still have to figure out how we build the licensing system.

So because of that, we thought about maybe publishing the CMS for free, and you have to pay for plugins, themes and future updates. As this is a "maybe" solution, I wanted to ask you guys, would you rather pay a one time fee (with plugins included and a default theme) or get the CMS for free and pay for plugins/themes/updates.

This topic is meant to be a discussion thread, so you are free to tell me your opinions about the whole thing, as we really want to know what you guys want and that is what we are focusing on.

Can't wait to see your suggestions/opinions!

Posted (edited)

Offering Free Panel with purchasable plugins is the way to go marketing wise. Since community already has good and long tested options as MMO web(check every big ru server). And its not expensive if you go serious. In addtion, many free panels out there which with google search you can easily modify them to your needs.

But theres a catch with a free product.... License can be easily cracked if someone spent time to crack it. The way to go is with API calls to the backend. Then you will have server expenses since even the l2homeserver.freedomain will register just for  the shake to have a control panel (http requests goes BOOM). And dont forget ddos attacks.  Then theres serverless technology which can help to reduce the cost. Anyway imo l2j market is pretty small to develop something that it will take months or even a year++ and will return only pain and tears. Stick with something like  wizard cp and just sell it lower than 1500 euro which is build in laravel and with a team of 2-3 you can easily build it in 4 months. 

Edited by Seamless

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Seamless said:

Offering Free Panel with purchasable plugins is the way to go marketing wise. Since community already has good and long tested options as MMO web(check every big ru server). And its not expensive if you go serious. In addtion, many free panels out there which with google search you can easily modify them to your needs.

But theres a catch with a free product.... License can be easily cracked if someone spent time to crack it. The way to go is with API calls to the backend. Then you will have server expenses since even the l2homeserver.freedomain will register just for  the shake to have a control panel (http requests goes BOOM). And dont forget ddos attacks.  Then theres serverless technology which can help to reduce the cost. Anyway imo l2j market is pretty small to develop something that it will take months or even a year++ and will return only pain and tears. Stick with something like  wizard cp and just sell it lower than 1500 euro which is build in laravel and with a team of 2-3 you can easily build it in 4 months. 

Hello Seamless,

thank you for your suggestions. You told me that there is a small market for that genre? I have to disagree.

If you look, there are opening servers day by day, most of them have a crappy shared HTML theme. With HeavenCMS, they would get the opportunity to have a nice web system to maintain and monitor their server on a web based platform.

The API method has benefits and dis-benefits. As you already said, DDoS is a problem here. As soon as you're getting attacked, all your customers can't control their website anymore. MMOWEB was down last night, so was l2axis website too, you couldn't register a game account or login to the panel at all..

So I think going with the API way is an option, but probably one of the worst.

Edited by splicho

Sad to see that none reads this or express his opinion. On the other hand, you see server owners download crappy atualstudio shared sites with bad coding and backdoors every day by day...

If you want to run this in a long-term the best to go is to sell at a one time fee with exclusive themes or maybe monthly fee as MMOWEB with a strong licensing system. I've seen many examples of how the free idea with plugins for sale went from nothing in some months, especially in MU Online area, all it takes is one guy sharing all plugins and maybe some themes and its all done.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, un1k said:

If you want to run this in a long-term the best to go is to sell at a one time fee with exclusive themes or maybe monthly fee as MMOWEB with a strong licensing system. I've seen many examples of how the free idea with plugins for sale went from nothing in some months, especially in MU Online area, all it takes is one guy sharing all plugins and maybe some themes and its all done.

Hello @un1k,

Thanks for your suggestion. Well, going for the monthly subscription will be though. Especially like @Seamless mentioned before, when you are under heavy DDoS Attack, your clients can't monitor or use their website... nor players can register because the API is down. We definitely aim to run this project long term, of course if people continue buying it. 

If there's no demand, we will most likely not continue to create content, just rolling out updates on the CMS itself. So it's all based on supply and demand.