Why are European Lineage 2 servers so poorly developed?

In my opinion it's not only admins that destroy the community but the players as well and the most problem is players.

I will try to explain why i'm saying that.

Let's say someone's willing to make a new unique project, something that is never seen before in l2 community, or at least it's something that it was missing from l2 community for a long time. He will need at LEAST some months to develop the project, maybe a year++ and when he will introduce the project you will see about 20-30 players interested in this project.

And why?

Because it's something new and people are kinda afraid of the new servers because they think "oh one more crappy server promises things and will die in 1 week." but by the time someone's thinking like this the project is failed anyways because it will get about 50-70 max players online and even lower than that.

But guess what?

When a server is going to open again which is already known that it's corrupted or bad in any way they will all go there.

And why? Because the server got some "fame", because it has 400+ online players which half if not more of them are paid clans/cps and the rest players are joining because the server is "famous" and it has players inside.

And i'm speaking from experience, i had a server back in the past with 40 stable online the most players in ad topics didn't like it at all because it was something new and they wouldn't like to join a "dead" server but these 40 people were even willing to donate for the server needs without getting anything back to keep the server online so they can play. It was bad for me to watch about 1 year of development failing like that and i closed the project. Most of people won't even bother to create something unique while they know they will face a community like this, so the only projects you'll have online are the ones which are popular and their copies.

About admins, the only mistake they make is advertisment.

They don't have the required knowledge to advertise their servers properly or they don't have the badget to do that, ending up with low online players and then closing the server.

Also most of nowdays wannabe admins will open servers with the same server features as the popular ones and if the one fails, one week after you will see them opening with another popular server's features ending up failing ofc because it's just a wannabe copy and it has tons of bugs and problems.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sepultribe said:

I'm sorry I can't help you, the faster you go meet your maker the better it is for all of us.

skipped the comment for the first sentence and went forward to a stupid comment-insult.

Anyway,get a bridge already and do ur relatives this favor.I highly doubt anyone else cares.

2 hours ago, Designatix said:

In my opinion it's not only admins that destroy the community but the players as well and the most problem is players.

I will try to explain why i'm saying that.

Let's say someone's willing to make a new unique project, something that is never seen before in l2 community, or at least it's something that it was missing from l2 community for a long time. He will need at LEAST some months to develop the project, maybe a year++ and when he will introduce the project you will see about 20-30 players interested in this project.

And why?

Because it's something new and people are kinda afraid of the new servers because they think "oh one more crappy server promises things and will die in 1 week." but by the time someone's thinking like this the project is failed anyways because it will get about 50-70 max players online and even lower than that.

But guess what?

When a server is going to open again which is already known that it's corrupted or bad in any way they will all go there.

And why? Because the server got some "fame", because it has 400+ online players which half if not more of them are paid clans/cps and the rest players are joining because the server is "famous" and it has players inside.

And i'm speaking from experience, i had a server back in the past with 40 stable online the most players in ad topics didn't like it at all because it was something new and they wouldn't like to join a "dead" server but these 40 people were even willing to donate for the server needs without getting anything back to keep the server online so they can play. It was bad for me to watch about 1 year of development failing like that and i closed the project. Most of people won't even bother to create something unique while they know they will face a community like this, so the only projects you'll have online are the ones which are popular and their copies.

About admins, the only mistake they make is advertisment.

They don't have the required knowledge to advertise their servers properly or they don't have the badget to do that, ending up with low online players and then closing the server.

Also most of nowdays wannabe admins will open servers with the same server features as the popular ones and if the one fails, one week after you will see them opening with another popular server's features ending up failing ofc because it's just a wannabe copy and it has tons of bugs and problems.

Lets make it short for current / upcoming server administration.

-Features only play a small part of interest in nowadays community.

-Retail with some tweeks here and there is enough to gain a decent audience.

-Accept that for atleast 2 years it was normal for 1 week servers ( there is nothing to be proud of having a 2 year w/o wipe title under ur belt with 200 or less solo ppl playing).

-If you want solo players on your server that plays more than 1 week, you invest in forum/website advertisment.

-If you want stable 1 week activity you invest in clans.

On 7/4/2018 at 8:41 PM, eddyteh said:

-Features only play a small part of interest in nowadays community.

-Retail with some tweeks here and there is enough to gain a decent audience.

- (...)( there is nothing to be proud of having a 2 year w/o wipe(...)

lets start from the bottom

- well, right and wrong, depending whose perspective you review

there is a lot to be proud of if one can keep even that '200' online for two years and is willing to, that shows his guts, dedication and care for the players, not the money or 'fame' on the block

i would say even the numbers add up, if you deduct all the quitters, jumpers and whiners that can't fit anywhere then you are left with 200 people that appreciate your work and enjoy the game, especially if you constantly develop it to the players needs

now, rearranging the order, to say a word or two about what i just bolded, first argument

- sure, players are mostly not into features, especially new features, like some mentioned already, players are skeptic and scared of things that can potentially ruin the experience they already know, UNLESS you prove and show them otherwise, but what influences the community interest nowadays if not features or 'fame' that some servers already have? well, the answer is, what i wrote in bold

constant development, updates, tweaks and necessary, smart changes are the key to gaining interest over time, instead of having a boom at the start and linear loss of players over time

players that would like to join need to know that there's gonna be something new by the time they reach top levels that they might get first, or fight for to own before guys playing since the start

but for obvious reasons, that's not a simple task and i would say, you need to have them planned for first few months of servers lifespan

now, the middle theory

- if one's goal is to gain players and keep them for donations sake, or for numbers sake, im fed up with servers like that, i know whats their purpose, hence im not interested in '100%' retail like servers for some time now, especially the popular servers right now, full of crap honestly

think for yourself as a player, do you want to be listened to once in a while? or rather be treated as donation fodder?

do you want to play the same chronicle, do exactly the same every 2 months or more often than that? or you would rather stay somewhere for year or two with periodic new content and improvements to things that work wrong and you point them out?

from a developer perspective i rather have less, but more intelligent people which can enjoy the game more in their own company, that gonna stay with you for months or years, rather than 'paid' clans that gonna ruin solo players experience and eventually lead to server falling apart due to bad atmosphere

back in the days i happened to enjoy playing on a server with stable, 500 online instead of 2-3k bots, which honestly was terrific experience, never bored, never out of party, never denied help, never called names in pvp

now a tip:

if you are that kind of player, that would rather enjoy the game rather than trying to 'own' it, go with my thoughts, give a go to fresh, new and interesting projects instead of old, constantly advertised everywhere you can see, as they are clearly investing money to get the money back

4 hours ago, Syrus said:

lets start from the bottom

- well, right and wrong, depending whose perspective you review

there is a lot to be proud of if one can keep even that '200' online for two years and is willing to, that shows his guts, dedication and care for the players, not the money or 'fame' on the block

i would say even the numbers add up, if you deduct all the quitters, jumpers and whiners that can't fit anywhere then you are left with 200 people that appreciate your work and enjoy the game, especially if you constantly develop it to the players needs

now, rearranging the order, to say a word or two about what i just bolded, first argument

- sure, players are mostly not into features, especially new features, like some mentioned already, players are skeptic and scared of things that can potentially ruin the experience they already know, UNLESS you prove and show them otherwise, but what influences the community interest nowadays if not features or 'fame' that some servers already have? well, the answer is, what i wrote in bold

constant development, updates, tweaks and necessary, smart changes are the key to gaining interest over time, instead of having a boom at the start and linear loss of players over time

players that would like to join need to know that there's gonna be something new by the time they reach top levels that they might get first, or fight for to own before guys playing since the start

but for obvious reasons, that's not a simple task and i would say, you need to have them planned for first few months of servers lifespan

now, the middle theory

- if one's goal is to gain players and keep them for donations sake, or for numbers sake, im fed up with servers like that, i know whats their purpose, hence im not interested in '100%' retail like servers for some time now, especially the popular servers right now, full of crap honestly

think for yourself as a player, do you want to be listened to once in a while? or rather be treated as donation fodder?

do you want to play the same chronicle, do exactly the same every 2 months or more often than that? or you would rather stay somewhere for year or two with periodic new content and improvements to things that work wrong and you point them out?

from a developer perspective i rather have less, but more intelligent people which can enjoy the game more in their own company, that gonna stay with you for months or years, rather than 'paid' clans that gonna ruin solo players experience and eventually lead to server falling apart due to bad atmosphere

back in the days i happened to enjoy playing on a server with stable, 500 online instead of 2-3k bots, which honestly was terrific experience, never bored, never out of party, never denied help, never called names in pvp

now a tip:

if you are that kind of player, that would rather enjoy the game rather than trying to 'own' it, go with my thoughts, give a go to fresh, new and interesting projects instead of old, constantly advertised everywhere you can see, as they are clearly investing money to get the money back

The point of view off a current Mid/Pvp rate CPL. 

( Cant comment on low rate servers , since i dont have that much time or dedication to grind for days )

L2 became more like a business , thats the main reason new servers keeps poppin here and there. And these who say we do it for the community and not for the money or fame are just the ones who have a hobby. They are the only ones that are blaming the community for ruining the game. Meanwhile the ones that follow the flow, are ok with constant new grand openings, 1-2 week server life times and minimal change in features.

L2 is like fashion , you have to go with the flow. If you dont follow whats  the most popular across. Thats your fault as an administrator and not the community. And if your trying to invent smthn new doesnt mean others will stick with it, its literal 50/50. Regardless of the time and sweat uve spend on it. No 1 but your self, will appreciate your hard work.

Atm most of clans/cps join the server by the invites from admins or other players regardless of its features.

If the server has most of the sides others will join too cuz of competition. Some ppl like me have a hobby for pvp videos, so thats another reason to join stacked servers of clans. I remember we joined a server that was a buggy with shit not working properly , ofc we flamed the server between each other but we still played there, and we donated if necessary to have a little advantege over the others.

TL;DR

Talk & have good contact with CPL`s/CL`s

No 1 will appreciate your hard work , only yourself.

Follow whats popular and stick with it

New invetions & poor server builds, could be brought to popularity with paying clans to play.

Edited by eddyteh

• 4 weeks later...

in my humble and short opinion 

all l2 servers are bad coz they are not innovating.  (almost) no one is creating unique things THEY thought of. i could never tell anyone "stop playing on the server you are now and come play the EXACT SAME GAME on my server, but i have different npc names and armor names and i call adena badena so it's different". think--->create--->have new things for players to explore...it's not 2004....people need to see interesting things not the same old game again and again. cheers 

I have to say that the last years server's situation are in great share, our fault

And for we, I mean Claww, Tales with Vampir and me. And why? Because 98% of the H5 servers are using our sources. 

It started with fandc from claww when tales became famous, they all wanted the same thing

Some time later Tales sources were leaked, and everyone was using them

And then our sources were leaked, 2 times. The last time had pretty much everything tales did but no one else had. This was caused by claww when he got the sources somewhere and start selling them

And lets face it, like 85 90% of the servers are not capable of creating new content, even less fixing big bugs/issues. So everyone uses the same pack, and they only change htmls and skill data

Thus, every server behaves the same, has the same content. And its probably true for interlude aswell. Many features must been exported to other packs or chronicles for sure

This added to the long-running fashion of doing weekly servers to gather as much money as possible regardless of whatever method is used to acomplish that.

And also considering the fact that the community is not giving real servers with new/improved content a chance of succeding. Like known corrupted servers gather thousands of onlines and thousands of donations, and good servers just get 500 online (with a real and good community), making it hard to grow, get enough incomings and sustain all the process from just that

You don't need new features to have a good online, just 2k+ euro to spend for advertisement, machine, website etc.

Even if you spend a year to add new cool features to core, but you are not good in advertisement then you will fail.

Next thing is that all top servers have very similar customs, so it is enough to make everything the same + 1 or 2 new small features and you will be on the top. On the other hand if you spend a lot of time on something unique like gve in low rate or battle royale, there is very big chance that it will fail because nobody has tried it before, it might be too big risk to spend 2k euro for project that might not even bring half of that money back.

For me it's great that on interlude competition is very weak, all low rates are made on l2off, all mid rates and pvp servers have got poor customs that are very easy to make and a lot of bugs. That's why I work only on interlude since 1,5 year now.

Edited by vampir
  • Upvote 1

Hello, my opinions about "Why are European Lineage 2 servers so poorly developed"  is the following:

I dont believe european servers are poorly developed, it depends on the point of view. You are talking about enchantments and other features, those are just features. Mostly Russian servers (at least the known servers) using L2OFF files that will reduce the bugs, in the other side we have European servers that using mostly Java files because the European community prefer custom gameplay and this is not something bad.

If we compare an L2OFF low rate Russian server with L2OFF low rate European server you wont see any difference, a good example for that is l2Dawn its a pure interlude off experience and i prefer it from those pay2win Russian servers that admins pay the clans, the clans botting, admin know it but he is not banning them.