WTS a massive critical error bug or fix

BruT

6 hours ago, eressea said:

Best practise would be fixing both server and client side, that way you can give players fix without server restart and later apply server fix during regular restart :)

With this, I do agree =)

21 minutes ago, .Elfocrash said:

The Crest wont get past the client side validation if it not a 256bit crest in the first place, so i highly doubt it has to do with that.

Also keep in mind that for a crash to happen based on the crest, the crest has to be uploaded, and validated by the server because the CharInfo packet with broadcast crests based on the crest Id and not the bytearray of the crest.

The only reason i could see the crests causing a problem in L2j is if the crest information serverpackets (ie: ExPledgeCrestLarge etc.) try to write a length different than the actual byte array length OR if the byte array itself is bigger than 256 (which btw should throw an exception anyway)

The author should define "mass critical error". Is it server wide or is it just on the player's knowlist?

It's about patched client (one byte in engine.dll) or using some packet hacking tool, if you create DDS file with wrong magic or width/height not divisible by 4 (as DDS textures are made of "texels" which are 4x4 pixels big), it will crash the client. Server doesn't validate it unless you add some better validation. Validation on server is really easy and fixing D3DDrv.dll to prevent the crash is even easier.

• Like 1

On 30/9/2017 at 1:33 AM, Fyyre said:

Thank you Eressea for putting in plan English for those who not understand my hinting.

The girl in your profil, i can imagine that this girl is you and then i come and ask you 

"How many programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

And you look at me with that face and answer back:

"None – It’s a hardware problem"

12 hours ago, Solid State Drive said:

The girl in your profil, i can imagine that this girl is you and then i come and ask you 

"How many programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

And you look at me with that face and answer back:

"None – It’s a hardware problem"

fyyre on fyyre