Legal Issues

Just wanted to chip in and mention the following:

The Lineage II User Agreement which @Elfocrash quoted above only applies to those who have explicitly agreed to it (i.e.: clicked on the 'I Accept' button when presented with the EULA). So, unless one has an active NCSoft account, the EULA does not apply to them.

(s) You / Your - A person who may click "I ACCEPT" according to Section 9 below.

Now, this obviously doesn't mean that NCSoft won't go after those who infringe their copyrighted work. They have every right to do so.

The question, however, is... will they even bother? Last time they bothered they took down a fair number of GitHub repositories hosting L2j & fork sources.

1 minute ago, .Elfocrash said:

Oh my god you are worse. It actually does yes, how can you be so stupid? You can just google stuff like that.

That doesn't mean they will do it but they can if they want to.

Bitch please, ur asshole must be jealous of your fingers by now. Ignorance is bliss Mr. Google lawyer.
Reading all the stuff u wrote above I wont even try to educate you. If it will make you feel better: ok u are right.

ROFL!

Just now, .Elfocrash said:

What you said there mate is absolutely right. Every bit. I wish people actually used their brain.

You are probably one of those stupid ppl irl who pay for stuff they are not supposed to, just because they think that agreeing with ToS or clicking "I agree" magically turns everything in there a law. Thats how Banks make money, from ppl like you.

Come one ppl you have got to have any experience with adult life. Its not 2007 anymore!

• Haha 1

According to http://www.iiste.org/Journals/index.php/JLPG/article/viewFile/11050/11351

"The cybercrime is an illegal behavior to be punished by the law at which one or more of electronic means used as a tool, environment, or goal to commit the crime"

Punishment of violating eula wrote by ncsoft can be prosecuted by law in which server is located or your country of stay. I don't know in which country you live, but in Poland there isn't any penalty for breaking terms of service unless it's considered as criminal activity in the law. I took a deep look in how it looks in Poland:

- Altering the game client & distributing it(like patch on website) - illegal

- Sharing just IP to be placed in hosts file replacing ncsoft ip - LEGAL

- Using stolen files like l2off - illegal

- Using parts of source code of l2off - illegal

- Creating a server that is connecting to game client like java - LEGAL

- Creating bots - illegal

- Making game client protection which is altering the client - illegal

There is also doubt if you have got a right to use java server files that were sold or shared, but nobody will sue you for that.

I think just using using altered game client is legal in Poland, so this means you can play on private server or use bots, but dont share it

If you have a java server and instead of sharing patch you will tell users to put a line in hosts file, you are not breaking any law in Poland. Your server and country of stay must be in Poland(or just look up how it looks in your country). In almost every country in the world you need to pay taxes for income too.

Edited by vampir

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/03/2018 at 5:56 PM, L2J NexuS said:

@Tryskell Do you mean this story ?

Sorry for quoting you in a dead thread.

Yup, this story is the only official attempt by NcSoft to close a private server. Even the github massive drop of L2J sources hasn't be claimed, which is probably the action of a single random dude.

All in one, if NcSoft wanted to close something, they would make it a very long time ago (back when L2 was extremely popular). They edited their ToS to be retroactive and usable even versus private developement, but actually never used it.

They actually CAN launch lawsuits if they want, the question is more about "will they". Answer has always be "no" for now, and probably will be "no" forever. They could decide to launch lawsuits and attack every single private server <= IL chronicle if they wanted, back when L2Classic was announced - but they never did. Most probably because it falls into one of those points :

• they know it will cost way more than it gives back (negative investment)
  • they know private servers end will harm bigger than it produces (those players will join other games, they won't join official L2 servers - which means the whole pool will simply won't play any L2 game/server/etc so those players won't join if a new chronicle is produced) + far lesser Google references about Lineage 2 (private servers = free ads for official servers).
  • they know laws are versus them, and they can't win any lawsuit even with their ToS.

Who knows. They simply didn't do anything.

Edited by Tryskell