Editing Textures (Updated For 2015)

this guide will show you how to edit l2 textures and get you started with l2 client modding

things you will need -

unreal runtime

l2encdec

l2 file edit

photoshop

photoshop dds plugin (just incase)

umodel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to start out, pick a texture you want to edit. i will be doing this on interlude.

navigate to your systextures folder, and select a texture. in this guide i will be using mfighter (textures of armor/hair face of human fighter male, ffighter for female, etc)

create a new folder, and extract umodel in that new folder (sdl dll, umodel exe)

create a bat script with the following code -

umodel -export -all MFighter.utx

after you did that paste (copy your file you want to edit and paste it in the folder with umodel)

57ecfabcdb.png

run the bat script and you will see all the extracted content is in your umodel export folder

navigate to umodel export -> mfighter -> texture

here you will see all the textures for human male fighter

now, to find the armor you want to edit, you need to know the id of it. this can be found through your l2j server or from finding it in your item name file. in this case, we will be using draconic leather armor (6379)

after you found the id through either method, open armorgrp and find the id of the item (6379)

7472846eef.png

8852d3b061.png

given this info, we know that draconic uses mfighter_m011_u/l for its mesh (animation, shape) and that the texture code for it is t89 (so all other pieces of this armor set is t89, making it easier to search)

search for 't89' in your extracted textures

ori = main textures

sp = lighting/specular mask

you usually want to edit only the _ori texture unless it doesnt exist in that case you can edit its _sp texture

let's start with the body piece, so open the _u_ori in photoshop (u is or upper, l is for lower, g is for gloves, b is for boots)

454bb721ed.jpg

we will start by making a selection around the skin (neck area) so the skin in game doesnt turn into some weird color

use the pen tool (press p or find that icon) to make a selection around it. i personally like using pen because it allows more accurate selections

908d58a9c0.png

d71fbb9c0f.png

the red dot is your starting point and ending point

the blue arrow shows where your next point should be (click+drag to curve)

the green point and arrow shows about where you should end and how you close it

e810beeab2.png

now do the same for the other part

when finished, right click and choose 'make selection' and press ok with the default settings

33f6a862a0.jpg

press ctrl+J to duplicate the selected parts and deselect your selection (ctrl+d)

6b6b41f785.png

duplicate your background layer by selecting it and pressing ctrl+J

you should be working on the copy layer (select it in your layer panel) in case you mess up

9678606efe.png

you can edit your texture in many ways, but i will be showing a very simple way of recoloring your texture. we will be making it blue.

press ctrl+u to bring up the hue/saturation menu

789cdda13c.png

slide the hue around to see what different colors you get until you are satisfied. saturation and brightness is not necessary for most cases. editing the hue is more effective without precise selections because it effects the colors more than black/whites

d6d2d97147.jpg

d82f19a646.jpg

after you finished changing the hue, noticed that the little 'eyes' on the armor are kinda fucked. we will fix that the same way we did with taking out the skin using pen. after you make your selection, press DELETE and it should look like this

8105063105.jpg

finished? save it somewhere (desktop or whatever) as tga or dds (use settings below for dds and default for tga)

51ce4b67fe.png

after you saved it, find the _sp file for your armor and copy/paste it in the same area with your edited texture

open unreal editor (found in where you installed your unreal runtime -> system folder

should look something like

80ebe500ad.jpg

go to file -> import

import your 2 files (the ori and the sp)

make your settings something like this

package = utx name

group = package within the utx (for organization)

name = name of the file (just leave it)

compression = usually dxt3

8f9ab04167.png

if the ori file has a alpha layer (which usually ori files tend to have) right click on it and select properties

4a0d106a4c.jpg

expand the surface options and make it alphaTexture=true

this will prevent in game bugs with being invis and teleporting

9fc717a21c.jpg

go to file -> new and make the settings similar to that

name = your shader name (i keep it like that to be organized, because that is very important)

notice in armorgrp it ends at _u instead of _u_ori or _u_sp because now you will combine the 2 files in a shader

77e08dc2ab.png

diffuse = main texture (usually ori)

opacity = alpha texture (usually ori)

specular = effect (usually a env map)

specular mask = (your _sp file)

self illumination = effect 2 (like a panner or something)

self illumination mask = mask for your 2nd effect (_si)

* note that self illumination is a bit 'heavier' on the effect because it doesnt take out the blacks in it while specular does

fcc5a565ce.png

select your main texture in diffuse and press 'use'

repeat for opacity

for specular and specular mask, do the same but select your _sp file

output blend should always be ob_masked IF your shader uses a opacity layer! if you don't use opacity leaving it at normal is fine

twoSided should ALWAYS be true

ace519bab8.jpg

next, go to file -> new and here we will create your env map. make the name like env01 or effect or something and the group would be 'effect'. the materialClass should be TexEnvMap

b8087765da.png

right click on your empty envMap and select properties if you closed out the window or something. this is about the same as putting your textures into shaders. for the 'material' box, we will create a lighting texture for it to get that glossy effect in game

we will repeat the first few steps with extracting except for a file named cubemaps and goldcubes (found in systextures)

do the same and extract the contents of it

find s-07-1

35353ba93e.png

do the same with the hue editing and make it blue EXCEPT use colorize to do it

save file after and import it in your Effects group (use same settings, skip doing the alpha part)

use that as material for your envMap

12bc4aec73.png

8ac07e1f57.png

go back to your shader and use your envMap for your specular

1a917e0b94.jpg

save your file in the same folder you put l2encdec in

after, create a bat script like

l2encdec -e 121 MxcGuide.ukx 

run the bat

you will see enc-TextureName

move the enc- file somewhere else

delete the enc- part so its only TextureName

move it to systextures

lazy mans script (warning - badly coded but works) -

SET FILENAME=MxcGuide.utx

l2encdec -e 121 %FILENAME%
DEL /F /Q /A "C:\Program Files (x86)\Lineage II\Interlude\systextures\EXS Textures\%FILENAME%"
MOVE C:\Users\User\Desktop\Texturing\enc-%FILENAME% "C:\Program Files (x86)\Lineage II\Interlude\systextures\EXS Textures\"
cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Lineage II\Interlude\systextures\EXS Textures\
REN enc-%FILENAME% %FILENAME% 

use your own lineage path! this will quicken the process by a lot because it will automatically rename, move and delete the old file (i think path can be a variable but i dont know why it doesnt work maybe i fucked up and im not a bat or code expert but this works regardless)

OPTIONAL BUT USEFUL --

copy your system

open l2 ini with file edit

copy all the contents in a text file

edit this stuff (make it like this)

IsL2NetLogin=False
IsL2Console=False
IsUseCommand=False

save text as _l2.ini or whatever name

create a shortcut of l2.exe but add -INI=_l2.ini at the end of target

END OPTIONAL INSTRUCTIONS

open file edit and open armorgrp

find 6379

copy the lines for it and paste it at the end of your file and make the id something else (like 16379)

edit mfighter.mfighter_m011_t89_u and make it MxcGuide.mfighter_m011_t89_u

save after (encrypt as 413)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Lineage II\Interlude\SystemDev\L2.exe" -INI=_l2.ini 

open your copy system shortcut (or your local server)

if you use pawnviewer, press tab and type pv to load items

navigate to the bottom to find your new armor

85a139596d.jpg7814c821ff.jpg

works! now repeat with legs and gloves and boots

resources -

l2decrypt

l2tool

-----------------

if needed i can make a video on this

Edited by Lucy Cat
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i got problem on this step: select your main texture in diffuse and press 'use'

i add this to diffuse  :Texture"MxcGuide.MFighter.MFighter_m011_t89_u_ori" and i press use and program stucks.I didnt change package or name i did like you

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

dude did u make video with this tutorial? cause everytime after i paint my armor i and i try to do ur tutorial on unreal i got error or better DC on the program and i rly wanna make all armor S grade on different color

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thank you for this handy guide Lucy, I'm new to these stuffs, is it possible to change an armor client side? or this Guide is for new .utx to use for new Custom Armors at a server?

Thank you again,

George

Edited by The Catalyst

Thank you for this handy guide Lucy, I'm new to these stuffs, is it possible to change an armor client side? or this Guide is for new .utx to use for new Custom Armors at a server?

Thank you again,

George

i dont get what you want to do

i dont get what you want to do

I was wondering If by this Guide you are able to create a new armor with new ID or you can replace the Draconic model (color etc) for the existing Draconic Leather Armor.

As I can see we created a .utx for a specific armor but Lineage2 got alltogether the armors in the FFighter.utx.

Can I add the specific utx we created for this specific armor Draconic Armor to replace the already existing Draconic Armor with this specific ID?

If yes I'll need some assistance with the editing of armorgrp so I'll be more than thankfull if you share with me any usefull topic within the forums!

I understand that this is a newbies question but I'm trying to learn and understand how the things are working.

Thank you for your patience with me,

George